Thursday, August 11, 2016

Crawfish Cornbread

We hosted family for a low country boil over the weekend and I promised to share the recipe for my crawfish cornbread.  I figured while I was at it, I would share my recipe for low country boil too.  


For me, summer can't pass without serving up this dish once or twice.  
I know there are a several variations and even debates on what to call it - low country boil, frogmore stew, beaufort stew........I don't care what you call it; just be sure to call me when it is ready!  Enjoy!!!!

Low Country Boil
1 3 oz package shrimp and crab boil in bag packet
1 12 oz bottle of pale ale
1 lemon cut in half

3 lb baby red potatoes
2 pounds andouille sausage cut into 2 inch pieces
6 ears of corn cut in half
4 pounds medium sized unpeeled shrimp (raw)
lemons, cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, hot sauce and Old Bay for serving

Combine first 3 ingredients and 5 quarts of water in a big ol' pot.  Bring to a boil and add potatoes and sausage for 10 minutes (covered), add corn; cover and cook for 5 minutes, add shrimp; cover and cook for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes, covered.  Drain and serve with sauces.


Serves 8

Crawfish Cornbread2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon Creole seasoning6 eggs2/3 cup vegetable oil1 yellow onion, finely diced8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated1 (12-ounce) bag frozen corn, thawed2 pounds crawfish tail meat, finely chopped1 (4-ounce) can diced jalapenos
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
Stir the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and creole seasoning together in a very large bowl. Stir in the eggs and oil and mix thoroughly. Add the onion, cheese, corn, crawfish and jalapenos and stir until everything is completely mixed together and evenly distributed.
Spread the cornbread into the prepared pan, smoothing out the surface. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until golden and firm and a tester comes out clean. Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Serves 8 – 10
So, what are you doing this weekend?  I suggest you invite some friends over and give this a whirl.  If you're in North Carolina, invite me!!!
xoxo,
TSS

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that sounds delicious!! Perfect summer get together.

    ReplyDelete