Monday, July 9, 2018

Low Country Boil and Tomato Pie

                                     

Most Saturday mornings you can find me at our town's Farmer's Market finding inspiration for weekend dinners.  I already knew Low Country Boil was on the menu for Saturday night but I wanted some fresh fruit to make James Farmer's Summer Salad.  


                                                   

My weekly score consisted of these gorgeous zinnia's, some peaches, blueberries, strawberries, heirloom tomatoes and freshly shucked corn.  A quick stop by the local grocery and seafood shop and we were in business.


I whipped up some Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins, also by James Farmer, assembled the salad and took everything over to my mother-in-law's house to enjoy an evening with family.  

                                               

Low Country Boil is hands down my favorite meal to prepare during the summer.  We usually do it twice - once with friends and another with family.  The simplicity of throwing everything in one pot cannot be beat.  And I adore dining al fresco, which the meal practically screams (though indoor in a pinch works perfectly fine too as we did this weekend).  

There are several variations of the recipe as well as the name (such as Frogmore Stew and Beaufort Stew).  I don't so much mind what people call it but if it is on the menu, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll show up!

Here is how I make mine:

First off - my hubby got me a lobster pot and the cutest low country boil set from Crate and Barrel when we were dating.  He has encouraged my cooking from the earliest days and the fact that his waist line has yet to prove he has happily eaten all my meals is a slight bone of contention in our house.  I tell you this mainly because you will need a big ol' pot to make this and a turkey fryer works fabulous too!

                                                        

SOUTHERN SIDEBOARD LOW COUNTRY BOILServes 5

5 quarts of water
1 lemon halved
1 bottle of pale ale beer 
1 package shrimp & crap boil in a bag
3 pounds new potatoes
2 1/2 pounds shells on shrimp
5 ears of corn halved
2 pounds of sausage of choice ( I use one pound kielbasa and one pound andouille)


Bring to a boil
reduce to medium heat
plop the potatoes and sausage in for 10 minutes
add the corn for 5 minutes
throw the shrimp in for 3 minutes
remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes
drain and sprinkle with Old Bay to taste
serve with cocktail sauce, hot sauce and extra old bay

DIG IN -so good y'all.

Sunday was spent at the pool being lazy, ready and catching up with friends.  I rounded out my Farmer's Market haul with this delicious tomato pie and I'll share that recipe tomorrow.


Have a great week!

xoxo,
Lee








1 comment:

  1. yummy to everything! I made Vivian Howard's tomato pie this weekend! It was good.

    ReplyDelete