Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Beach Eats

One of my favorite things about the beach is the wonderful seafood and family meals that we cook.  Our tradition is to each take a night and cook for the family.  A gazillion calories later, I am in the gym a little longer this week in an effort to get ready for skinny jean season.

We arrived on Saturday and Aunt Judy, AKA "Gigi", took the reins.  Since we were all pooped out from the drive, we enjoyed a quick rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and a garden salad.  Gigi and Grammie (Bri's Mom) stopped by a farmer's market on the way into Ocean Isle and brought home a key lime pie for dessert.  To.Die.For yummy.

I cooked on Sunday night to keep with our Sunday Supper tradition.  I found a fabulous Blue Crab Casserole dish in Rachel Lang's cookbook that I paired with a salad and yeast roles.  It was every bit as good as it looks.  I was a bit grumpy that they didn't have a cute casserole dish to serve it in but I got over myself with the first bite.  By the cookbook.  Make the recipe.  That is all.

 
 
On Monday, Gigi treated us to our annual feast in Calabash.  We stuffed ourselves silly with hushpuppies, fried shrimp, fried flounder, fried catfish, fried oysters, fried scallops - if it could be fried - we ate it!!!  Needless to say, a walk on the beach and A LOT of water was in store when we got home.  Woo wee - we were stuffed piggies but it was OH! so yummy!
 
Monday was a great day because it marked the arrival of Christina.  Christina is my brother-in-law's girlfriend.  Jeff couldn't come to the beach so we were thrilled she could join us for part of the week.  Grammie treated us all to her beach specialty of steamed shrimp. Fresh local shrimp caught right in the waters nearby.......nothing better.
 


The hubs has a friend nearby with his family so we met up for dinner with them on Wednesday.  Thursday, I sautéed some scallops with rice and Friday we enjoyed Salmon with roasted potatoes and buttered peas.  I'll save those for a Sunday Supper recipe. 

Well, I need to go to work and after remembering all this yummy food, I suppose I'll indulge in my fall favorite - the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.  Goodbye summer - hello fall!  Yes, I am about to go pay $4.00 for a cup of coffee.......ridiculousness.........

Happy Day!

xoxo,
TSS

No comments:

Post a Comment