Monday, October 14, 2013

Sunday Supper


As a result of the apple orchard field trip I took Friday with the wee one, apples were the star of the show for last night's Sunday Supper.  We started off with apple fritters and then had apple pork chops with cornbread stuffing and asparagus.  I was more excited about the cornbread stuffing as I was trying out a new recipe for Thanksgiving.  Ding, ding, ding........we have a winner!!!  It was SO yummy. 

While the hubby loved the pork, I have to admit, I was not a fan.  The maple syrup made it a bit too sweet for my liking.  I think if I halved the syrup it would have been okay.......or maybe if I hadn't eaten so many of those darn fritters before dinner.  hmm....oh, well, 20 extra minutes on the elliptical machine this morning justified every bite. 


The pork chops came from The Pioneer Woman and I am dying to try the grits that she pairs with her pork chops. How divine do those look? In fairness to my thoughts on the dish, I didn't have apple cider vinegar and forgot to add the wine, which would have undoubtedly cut the sweetness from the syrup.  Again, I'll blame my lack of attention on those darn fritters.....

We ended the weekend by finally watching "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown".  The kids loved it but I have to ask, was it always this weird and depressing???  I also found myself telling the kids, "okay, this isn't how we treat our friends" and, "No, Harrison, you may not call your brother a blockhead".......funny how I filter things differently now that I am a Mommy.


Have a great week!
xoxo,
TSS

Below are my recipes for the apple fritters and the cornbread stuffing.  Try them both today!!!

Apple Fritters
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 apples, peeled and diced
vegetable oil
powdered sugar

Pulse first 5 ingredients in a food processor 5 times or until crumbly.  Spoon mixture into a large bowl.  Stir in diced apple.  Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.

Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch overn; heat to 350 degrees.  Fry fritters, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.  Sprinkle fritters evenly with powdered sugar.  Yield:  22 fritters


Cornbread Stuffing
To start off, I should admit that I cheated and used the Jiffy cornbread mix.  I have yet to find a "to die for" cornbread recipe so until I do, Jiffy works just fine for me. 

2 packages of Jiffy cooked according to directions
1/4 cup butter
2 cups celery, finely chopped
3/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon sage (optional)
1 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
5 cups crumbled cornbread
6 slices of whole wheat bread, crumbled
4 eggs slightly beaten
2 cups chicken broth

Melt butter in the pan and sauté celery, onion and bell pepper until tender.
Add parsley and seasonings.
Mix in crumbled cornbread and wheat bread (be sure to take the crusts off the wheat bread).
Add eggs and chicken broth; mix.  *Add more broth if consistency seems dry.
Place mixture in a 2 quart rectangular casserole dish and make at 350 for 45 minutes.
*You can also shape into individual dressing balls, which I plan to try next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment