Monday, February 23, 2015

Sunday Supper: BC Easy Tomato Soup with Jalapeno & Cheddar Cornbread

It has been downright cold this past week here in the south.  I have a lot of friends who live up north and realize that I have little room to complain about the weather.  BUT, the south just doesn't do well when the temp drops to single digits......and doesn't snow!  We had a dusting covered in ice - ick.  Dump some snow on me if you are going to freeze me out.  I had to laugh the other day when I actually said how happy I was that it was 20 degrees.  So clearly, all this cold weather had me hankering for a big bowl of warm soup.



I opted for an easy, ol' faithful recipe from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof - Easy Tomato Soup.  This is a super easy meal.  You saute onions in oil, add garlic, a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper and then some orzo and heavy cream.  It is so, so, so very comforting on a cold night and surprisingly filling.  You can search the recipe on Food Network or just google Barefoot Contessa Easy Tomato Soup.

What I was most excited about was trying my hand at homemade cornbread.  Up to this point in my life, I have been a Jiffy girl.  I had seen a recipe for Crawfish Cornbread while I was researching Mardi Gras meals that I was hoping to give a whirl.  Sadly, our seafood shop is changing crawfish carriers and won't have any for the next few weeks.  So, I simply omitted that part of the recipe and figured cheddar and jalapeño cornbread would still be yummy.  In truth, this might have been good if I halved the jalapeño portion.  So I'll keep trying.......I have a few other cornbread recipes to try.  Would love you to share if you have a good one.  Here is the recipe I followed.

Have a great week!
xoxo,
TSS

No comments:

Post a Comment