Monday, January 2, 2017

New Year's Traditions


Like most folks, I suppose, I am rooted in traditions.  Some are childhood memories and others are the ones we've created throughout the years for our children to enjoy. Some are sacred and some are flat silly - yet I hold fast to them.  They offer a sense of belonging and purpose.  My hope is one day my children will reflect on their childhood with love and carry some of these traditions on with their family (while inviting us over, of course!).

No other time offers traditions for families
more than the holidays.  Ours start around September with fall festivals and apple picking and carry right on through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year.  And our New Year's Day menu is one of my favorite traditions.

Ironically, enough, I did not grow up eating pork, greens and cornbread on January 1st.  We spent New Year's Eve with neighbors eating fondue but I honestly remember being bored January 1st and ready to go back to school.  It wasn't until I had graduated from college and was working on Capitol Hill in D.C. that I learned about the southern culinary tradition.  And to be honest - I was totally grossed out.  

A friend invited me over for a "New Year's Day Recovery Party" and had a sideboard decked out with all the fixin's.  I don't know if it was the need to "recover" from a night of partying but it was the best meal I had eaten in a long time.  There we all stood in our ballgowns and tux's from the evening before devouring pulled pork, hoppin' john, sour cream cornbread and collards.  Our host was from Savannah and shared stories of how his grandmother made this meal every New Year's Day and all my other friends nodded in agreement.  I may have been the lone person in the crowd who ate PB&J on New Year's Day in her past; but from that day forward, I knew what would be on my menu each New Year's Day. 

Here is a glimpse of some of our yummies~

Now and Later gifts for our New Year's Eve hostess.
A bottle to enjoy during the party and a fancier bottle to enjoy at a time of her choosing.

I took some caramelized bacon to share.  

A fun and festive New Year's toast with our children before we left for our party.  


And then on to our New Year's Day buffet~

Honey Baked Ham, Collards, Hoppin' John & Skillet Cornbread




All this holiday fun has me feeling like~

Today is our last day of Christmas break.  We are staying close, watching football and playing games. The alarm will come too early tomorrow bringing us back to reality......when we'll march right on to the next festivity and tradition.  Whether they are traditions from the past or traditions in the making, 2017 will be filled with love.  Life's a party and we are all invited.

Happy New Year, Y'all!

xoxo,
TSS

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in the North (til age 10) and so did hubby, so the whole New Years meal thing was lost on us. Might need to start it next year, as my two southern GRITS are missing out. LOL
    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete