Monday, July 15, 2013

Blessed Be the Ties That Bind

I am a lucky girl.  I don’t just love my mother-in-law, I adore her.  I have learned through the years that you marry more than just a person – you really marry their family.  And I could not have married into a sweeter family.  Both my in-laws have been such a positive force of love and support in my life, which of course means the lives of Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Since I started dating the hubs 12 years ago, I have heard stories of my MIL’s family reunion.  Well, I finally had the pleasure of attending the famed Dorsey Family Reunion this past weekend.  Held at the Golf Club of Cuscowilla in Eatonton, Georgia, we arrived on Friday in time to enjoy swimming and catch up with the family.

Dinner was an old fashioned BBQ of pulled pork, barbeque chicken, slaw and Brunswick stew (YUM!)  We enjoyed a special cake to celebrate the 125th wedding anniversary of JB “Jake” Dorsey and Nina Claire Tabor Dorsey.  Jake and Nina Claire had 10 children and every summer, they come together to celebrate, to remember and to grow in love.  This special tradition has been going on every summer for more than 100 years.

After dinner, we were scheduled to enjoy videos of family gatherings past and listen to stories.  However, Thing 1 and Thing 2 were ready for bed so we simply gathered briefly in the conference room to look at old pictures.  The kiddos squealed with delight at pictures of a young Grammie, Daddy and Uncle Jeffie.  We showed them pictures of Mema and Papa (the hubs grandparents who I am so thankful I had the opportunity to meet) and then it was off to bed where we all enjoyed a well earned snooze.

Day 2 started early with the kiddos rising at 6AM.  By 10:00 AM it was time to hit the pool to let them run off some energy.  Unfortunately, we arrived to find out the pool had been closed for the day due to an “accident”.  Not to miss a beat, Grammie took H to play with cousins and we took S back to the villa for an early lunch and nap.  While Thing 2 was napping, I was delighted to learn that an old friend was in town for a girl’s weekend just down the road at the Ritz Carlton Lodge at Reynolds Plantation; so I scooted over to catch up.  (It should go without saying that if you have the means to have a girls weekend at the Ritz Lodge at Reynolds Plantation you should do so – immediately).

Upon my return to Cuscowilla, S awoke from his nap and we headed to the pool pavilion for the annual Dorsey family croquet tournament and corn hole tournament.  Then it was time to shower for dinner and the family talent show.  We then danced the night away to beach music.  H had a ball running around with cousins while S charmed all the ladies on the dance floor.  I am going to have my hands full with this one!  The highlight of the evening was when one of the cousins who serves in the US Navy did a fly by in his C-130 during an practice run up the East Coast.

Sunday concluded with a church service and business meeting to plan the 2014 Dorsey Family Reunion.  The hubs and I decided on the drive home that this would definitely become a family tradition for us as well.  125 years of celebrating the love of two people and the family they created is a sweet tradition that I am honored to be part of.  It warms my heart to know the boys have this strong network of love to surround and nurture them.  As the hubs and I approach our 9th wedding anniversary, I am humbled at the reminder of how important family is.

 Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. 
Your people will be my people and your God my God.” - Ruth 1:16 

Enjoy some photos here:
Http://thesouthernsideboard.shutterfly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment