Friday, November 8, 2013

Thankful Thursday


Yesterday we had our first Thankful Thursday.  I had so much fun with the boys Spooktacular Surprises in October and have already shared with you how I plan to celebrate Advent here - so this was just a fun idea to keep the suspense going.

Each Thursday, we are taking time to learn about the Thanksgiving holiday and to do something special for someone else.  And since our Church is already working on Samaritans Purse Shoeboxes, I thought that would be the perfect place to start.


Harrison has picked a 5 year old boy to pack a box for this year.  I shared with him the history of the project and explained to him how fortunate he was to have a nice warm house, warm clothes, warm food and more than enough toys to play with - that not all children had such luxuries.  I am not sure if he understood but last night when we said our prayers, he listed every single friend he knew and said he wanted to pray for them.  He told me how lucky he was to have good friends too.  Oh, sweet boy!  We will go this weekend to pick out the goodies and pack the box.  He can't wait and that warms my heart.

So we will do this every Thursday right up until Turkey Day.  Can't wait for next week's installment.

xoxo,
TSS

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea and hope to get SS involved in charitable activities at a young age too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found you over at Dixie Delights and couldn't resist your blog title "Southern Sideboard"... too cute! I absolutely love this tradition! When I was a kid, we would take one of those angels from the Salvation Army tree every year. It was one of my favorite things and I hope to start doing it this year or next with my kids.

    ReplyDelete