Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hubby Turns 40

It was with little pomp and circumstance that the love of my life turned 40.  Between his stomach virus last week and my head cold, it has been a pitiful site around these parts.   My exhaustion led to a full blown headcold that is so bad it has gone into my ears!!!!   WHAT???? WHAT DID YOU SAY???? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME????  Augh - it is maddening.

I am very lucky as I rarely get sick - aside from the occasional R.A. flareup.  But this headcold has moved in and doesn't feel like going away.  Yuck.  Fortunately, the wee ones are healthy as pups so I am praying things stay that way.

I had hoped to plan a big ol' shin dig for my sweetheart to celebrate his big day but he put the kibosh on that idea.  So we will simply slip away for a weekend when it warms up a bit.  That is our standard gift and I'm not gonna lie - a weekend alone with my sweetie and no kids is just as much a gift for me as it is for him!  Stay tuned.......

In the meantime, here is a snipit of how we fussed over him on the actual day.  He rose early in the morning and headed up the mountain for a day of fly fishing.  This is what greeted him upon arriving back home.















For cocktails we enjoyed Parmesan Crips made from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof cookbook.  To be honest, these were not my favorite as I found them way too salty.  I always put less salt in the recipes
than what she calls for but this was still too strong for me.  

Dinner was a perfectly grilled NY Strip with a poached egg topped with shredded parmesan, steamed broccoli, sauteed mushrooms and creamy mashed potatoes.  For the steak, I heated my indoor grill to medium high and cooked 5 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other for medium rare.  The mashed potatoes recipe came from Barefoot Contessa Family Style.  This is THE BEST mashed potato recipe - look it up and use it.

I stopped by one of our favorite shops and picked up a huge slice of cheesecake and cabernet to round out all of my hubby's favorite things.  And with that, my love is 40!

xoxo,
TSS

1 comment: