Monday, January 19, 2015

Sunday Supper: Brunswick Stew

I have had a love affair with Lodge Cast Iron since childhood.  My father loved to cook with his and started me on my own collection.  I have a skillet, an oversized skillet, a sauce pot, a cornbread tray and a fajita skillet.  To my delight, my father-in-law added to my collection over Christmas with the oversized Dutch Oven - squeal!



We broke it in last night with some yummy Brunswick Stew.  Here are the results and my recipe.



Southern Sideboard Brunswick Stew

3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 rotesserie chicken - boned and shredded
1 15 ounce can baby lima beans, undrained
1 8 ounce can baby lima beans, undrained
2 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes undrained and chopped
1 16 ounce frozen package of baby lima beans
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 15 ounce cans of cream style cord
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 unsalted butter
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
*optional - hot sauce to taste

Pour canned lima beans and liquid through a strainer into a Dutch Oven and reserve the beans.  Add tomatoes (don't forget to chop them up) and add 3 cups of broth.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring often for 40 minutes.

Add the chicken, mashed reserved beans, frozen beans, potato and onion to the pot.  Lower heat to low, cook for 3 1/2 hours, stirring often.

Stir in corn, sugar, butter, salt and pepper and cook over low heat for an hour, stirring often.

Makes 3 1/2 quarts.  Make a batch for your family and take some to a neighbor!

This time of year, when the weather is cold, I love to make a big batch of soup on Sunday to nibble off of throughout the week.  And since the hubby is back on the road today for the week - this will be perfect!

xoxo,
TSS

No comments:

Post a Comment