Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sunday Supper - Pecan Crusted Flounder

Sunday Supper #2:  Pecan Crusted Flounder with Roast Asparagus and Hush Puppies
 
 
 
As I mentioned the other day, my sweet hubby has given me yet another yummy cookbook filled with recipes I can't wait to try.  So I have to cook my way through my current favorite kitchen companion by fellow Georgian, Rebecca Lang.
 
Here is my version of her Pecan Crusted Flounder.  It is delicious but I will admit that I halved the amount of pecans it calls for in the crust.  I personally don't like the taste of pecans to overpower the fish and a little pecan goes a long way.  But that all depends on personal taste.  My rule of thumb is to always follow the recipe the first time and then tweak to taste until you get it just right for your taste buds.
 
I then roasted some asparagus - preheat the oven to 375 degrees; sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes or until done.
 
Lastly, I fried up some hush puppies.  The hubs didn't think that was enough food so he whipped up some Pasta Roni noodles from the pantry and dinner was done!
 
TSS's Hush Puppies
2 cups white cornmeal
3 tablespoons flour (all purpose)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon bacon drippings (or vegetable oil if you are serving vegetarians)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced onion
Vegetable oil for frying
 
Combine first 5 ingredients and mix well.  Beat egg and egg white, then stir in buttermilk and bacon drippings.  Add to cornmeal mixture; add onion, and stir until blended.  Heat oil to 375 degrees.  Drop the batter by the spoonful into the oil for 2 minutes on one side and flip for another minute on the other side (or until golden brown).  Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
 
Happy Sunday Supper!
xoxo,
TSS


No comments:

Post a Comment