Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sunday Supper


Horseradish Meatloaf and leftover open faced sandwiches
What a week!  I can't believe I am so late in sharing what the sideboard hosted for Sunday Supper!!!  I tried a new meatloaf recipe and was very thankful to have two hearty taste testers in my hubby and father-in-law.  They raved about it but to be honest, they are pretty darn easy to please. 

I am making dinner Saturday for a friend who is undergoing chemotherapy.  I was looking through the meal sign up list and most of my "go to" potluck dinners were already taken.  So I thought to myself - MEATLOAF!  If done right, it can be such a heartwarming meal.  But therein lies the rub......if it is done right.  And I have yet to do it right

Off to my cookbooks I went.  I only have a gazillion southern style cookbooks - surely I could find a decent recipe.  I narrowed my search down to three and went out on a ledge using a version with horseradish.  Now the recipe called for horseradish in the loaf AND the sauce.  I opted to try it only in the loaf.  A little horseradish goes a long way and I didn't want to knock the socks off my friend and her family.  I can proudly report that it was a big hit.  The horseradish gave the loaf a hint of flavor that I was missing in previous recipes without overpowering the dish.  It also helped keep the loaf moist for leftovers.  I served it with green beans, mashed potatoes and Sister Shubert yeast rolls.  I was so eager to eat the darn thing that I forgot to take a picture.  I promise to add a picture before I take it to my friend's house on Saturday.

The good news is that we got to enjoy the dish again last night.  I made an open meatloaf sammie (otherwise known as sandwiches).  I had to use regular bread because I didn't have Texas Toast in the freezer (quite uncommon).  So I reheated the loaf, plopped in on regular toast, put a slab of cheese over the top, set it in the broiler for a minute and drizzled it with some warmed ketchup.  I reused the leftover mashed potatoes and fried the left over green beans..........and then went for a walk around the block.  It would have been better with the Texas Toast but was still pretty darn yummy-in-the-tummy.

Here's the recipe:
Horseradish Meat Loaf
from Southern Living Home Style Cooking
which credits Maxine Johnston Scholtz from Pride of Gaithersburg, Gaithersburg Lioness Club

2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup uncooked regular oats
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard

COMBINE first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.  Form beef mixture into a loaf and place in a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

COMINE 1/2 cup ketchup, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon horseradish, and mustard in a small bowl, stirring well.  Spoon half of ketchup mixture over top of meat loaf.  Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Spoon remaining ketchup mixture over meatloaf and bake 10 more minutes.  Remove to a serving platter.  Yield 8 servings.

If you are a meatloaf lover, you should try this version.  I still don't know if I have enough guts to try the horseradish in the sauce.....but to each their own.

Till next time!!!  And don't forget about my Kelly's Kids give-away.
xoxo,
TSS

No comments:

Post a Comment